[Air-l] FC: How anti-Iraq war protesters employed technology, from NYT

Yvonne Waern waern at dsv.su.se
Sun Feb 23 12:57:44 PST 2003

The novelty of Internet lies in all that Steve suggests, and a little
more. Why, for example should not a change in scale (that is speed
and outreach) result in a change in kind?  After all, one cold virus
is easily faught, whereas several may result in a real bad cold, that
may develop into pneumonia...

To add a qualitative difference: the opportunity to save messages
(not only to copy them for forwarding) is also important. This is so
much more easy than saving papers (have a look at your desk).  Also,
search for messages is easier than search for papers. Therefore, the
ideas on those papers may be more penetrating, since you may see them
more often. Again: quantity brings quality.

However, I still hold that the opportunity to spread messages over
the world fast and to a great number of people is decisive not only
for a quantitative but also for a qualitative change. You certainly
see characteristics of a cat in a tiger, but I am sure you wouldn't
like to take the tiger on your lap.

Further, the old knowledge that you may reach people you do not know
through the Internet really IS a qualitative change. Of all people in
the air-list I only know Steve Jones and Malin Sveningsson personally.

To further support my argument, I can tell you that I have been
e-communicating since 1976 or so. By then there were very few people
online, and I could not see any difference from phoning or writing
ordinary letters. Now, however, I would like to say that we have
reached the "critical mass" people use to talk about. The source of
this metaphor is another example of how quantity brings quality.

All the best,
Yvonne

--
Yvonne Wærn, Professor em, PhD.