[Air-l] tracking software for computer use research

Mark Warschauer markw at uci.edu
Tue Feb 25 14:43:19 PST 2003

We are launching some research projects to look at K-12 students'
uses of laptops.  One of the elements we'll want to learn about is
how often/long the students access the laptops for what software and
uses, etc.

I am completely ignorant about what types of computer software are
available to track users' computer use.  I imagine their are a range
of products that do everything from just tell you how many hours the
computer has been turned on to products that record every key stroke
(I would imagine that we need something between these two extremes).

Can anybody enlighten me to any specific types/brands of user/usage
tracking software that I might want to look into?  I'm not sure where
to start looking.

Thanks,
Mark

--