[Air-l] i'm white

nicola green n.green at soc.surrey.ac.uk
Wed Feb 26 18:02:24 PST 2003

maybe its just me, but i don't think this page is about about humour, or
about people that are concerned or engaged  about life, or about having a
good laugh about themselves (which i think is essential in any  political
concern -  at least as a starting point)

>http://www.bullymag.com/7.12.02/jokes-071202.asp

i would more than welcome *jokes* about white people's habits - i think
people in general are pretty funny (really, we are - please do insert jokes
about me at this point, and point out that 'we'  is terribly subjective) -
sometimes (maybe especially?) when we take ourselves so terribly seriously,
we are at most risk of misinterpreting cultural trends. and i think
politically, we ignore the role of humour at our peril.
we can be serious in our messages whiile laughing at ourselves - but i
think this is exactly what this site (quoted above) doesn't do - you could
say that its 'anti-racist' becuase it just makes jokes about white people -
but at the same time its incredibly sexist - many of the 'white people'
jokes are directed at 'white' women, and have to do with gender and
sexuality far more than the politics of ethnicity - (and actually, those
jokes aint even funny....) do we really, 20 years on, want to revert to
that kind of crap?

nic
------

Dr. Nicola Green