[Air-l] Theoretical Approaches to CMC Research

Yvonne Waern waern at dsv.su.se
Thu Feb 27 10:33:31 PST 2003

I have a couple of favourite theories.
	Activity theory, originally from Leontev in the 20's. This
looks at human activity in a social context. Computers may in
activity theory be seen as a means to work towards an object. The
object may vary, and there is often conflict between various actors
involved in the same activity (this is from Yrjoe Engestroem)
	Distributed cognition. cognition is not only within the head
of a particular person. Instead, cognition is distributed over people
and artefacts. This theory is rather similar to the activity theory,
but DC is more favoured in San Diego than activity theory.
	Cultural theory - I guess many people on this list belong to
this very amorphous collection of ideas, called theory. As far as I
understand it is a kind of humanistic theory, more turned towards
critical analysis of human activity, in particular with respect to
media (not as mediating activity, but as mass communication, for
instance).

Let's see what you get more!
Yvonne