[Air-l] unrelated deaths

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Mon Feb 24 16:53:36 PST 2003

well on monday, as on most mondays an any given day for that matter,
the world was different.  This monday was significant because we had
over the weekend lost Maurice Blanchot(in Le Monde) and Robert K.
Merton(in NYT), whose work may seem unfamiliar to some until you read
it.  both of these authors have lent significant marks of their
existence to contemporary world, and while I'm not one for hero worship
or nostalgia, I do believe in giving people their due and these two
have much due, or so I claim,  in both the past and future of internet
research but both in significantly different ways. In short, I've seen
them cited in people's work that are on this list, so I thought I'd let
people know if they had not yet heard.

on another note, i wouldn't have known of this except for the internet.
  I heard of Merton from Kieren Healy's blog out of arizona before the
nyt obit. and Blanchot from Multitudes, which is a french list in
relation to its academic journal.