[Air-l] <nettime> www.marchtowar.com (fwd)

robert m. tynes rtynes at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 25 12:15:09 PST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 03:24:02 -0500
From: tad_BARN <tad at media.mit.edu>
To: nettime at bbs.thing.net, rare at rhizome.org
Subject: <nettime> www.marchtowar.com

##FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE##

NEW WEBSITE COMBINES ONLINE GAMING AND .NET ACTIVISM
TO HELP IRAQI CIVILIAN CASUALTIES

25 February 2003: Today marks the launching of marchtowar.com, a new
website that uses the power of internet gambling to raise money for
civilian casualties of a US-led war against Iraq. The premise of the
game is simple: visitors to www.marchtowar.com place $5.00 bets on when
the war will begin. The player whose bet is closest to the actual start
of hostilities will win prepaid gasoline cards totaling 20% of the
total money collected. The remainder will be donated to agencies
providing humanitarian relief to civilian victims of the coming war.

According to marchtowar.com spokeswoman Kelly Bundy, "War is immanent,
and we know that thousands of civilian casualties are inevitable. As
Americans, we feel that it's our duty to help those civilians -  after
all, this war is being carried out largely in our name. marchtowar.com
is simply providing a means for ordinary citizens to help with the
coming humanitarian crisis, and have a little fun in the process."

"This isn't about protest," said Marcel Champion, one of the site's
founders. "The decision to go to war was made a long time ago, whether
we like it or not. The Bush administration has made it abundantly clear
that
they don't give a hoot about opinion of either US citizens or the
international community. While we empathize with the millions of
Americans who question the President's commitment to democratic
processes,
marchtowar.coms position is purely pragmatic."

Longtime Boston resident Terry O'Malley said, "I think it's a great
idea. Plus, with the rising cost of gasoline, I really hope I win those
gas cards!"

Payments may be made by credit card or check, and will be held in
escrow until time of payout by Boston Mobilization, a 503(c) nonprofit.
Although anyone may place bets and contribute to the pool, only
Massachusetts residents are currently eligible to win the prize.
Efforts are currently underway to expand eligibility to nonresidents.
Nonprofit organizations interested in making this service available to
residents of their states are encouraged to contact
marchtowar at yahoo.com immediately.

Members of the United States armed forces and National Security Agency
are prohibited from participating in the pool.

For additional information, please contact marchtowar.com at
marchtowar at yahoo.com.

#  more info: majordomo at bbs.thing.net and "info nettime-l" in the msg body
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime at bbs.thing.net