[Air-l] references/surveys on security/privacy?

Eszter Hargittai eszter at myway.com
Thu Feb 6 12:32:11 PST 2003

Dear Fellow AoIRers,

I'm looking for some background information on security/privacy issues
online.  Let me be more specific.:)  In particular, I would love pointers to _empirical work_ (literature/data/surveys) on what percentage of users even know about certain security features - say in browsers - and what percentage use them.  I'm also looking for info on people's attitudes about security/privacy issues, and why they do or do not use services meant to insure more security/privacy.

I'd also appreciate pointers to reports of identity thefts and other
security/privacy breaches (e.g. "Identity Theft Complaints Double in '02" http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/23/politics/23THEF.html ).

I'm familiar with the work of Nissenbaum, Friedman and Felten in this
area.  There's also a Pew report on "Trust and Privacy Online:
Why Americans Want to Rewrite the Rules"
http://www.pewinternet.org/reports/toc.asp?Report=19
There are also some other Pew reports with relevant information.

Where else should I be looking?

Thanks so much!  (I'll be happy to post a list of responses.)

Eszter

---
http://www.eszter.com | http://www.esztersblog.com