[Air-l] Re: E-mail versus Web Time/Behavior

Eszter Hargittai eszter at myway.com
Tue Feb 25 13:50:14 PST 2003

The General Social Survey Internet module has some related questions such as
- For about how many mins or hrs a week do you use your home
computer for each of the following: .. sending or receiveing email ..
- same for work computer
- same for other computer
Then there are questions about how many email messages does the user
send and receive from all computers and how many are personal one-on-one vs. sent to/from members of a group/e-list.
Then there are separate questions about time spent on the Web NOT email.

You can access the GSS data here: http://www.webuse.umd.edu/ .

I also collected data about email time vs Web (not email) time in my study.  I had a short blurb about this in a piece: "Respondents were asked how much time they spend on the Web each week excluding e-mail use, that is, time spent specifically for browsing information online. Web use ranges from just a few minutes to over 30 hours weekly (see Table 1 for details). About half of the respondents use the Web more than they use e-mail, 18.5 percent use the two types of online services the same amount and the rest do more e-mailing than Web browsing in a typical week."
from http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue7_4/hargittai

Eszter

---
http://www.eszter.com