[Air-l] Anti-Racism and Cyberspace

Art McGee amcgee at virtualidentity.org
Thu Feb 27 09:35:13 PST 2003

> >http://www.bullymag.com/7.12.02/jokes-071202.asp
>
> maybe its just me, but i don't think this page is about
> about humour, or about people that are concerned or
> engaged about life, or about having a good laugh about
> themselves (which i think is essential in any political
> concern - at least as a starting point)

Yeah, that page is really lame and fucked up. As most here
know, a much more effective use of humor and satire directed
at white people, but in an anti-racist context is:

http://www.blackpeopleloveus.com

This is an *excellent* example of using cyberspace and new
media not for the purpose of perpetuating real-life racism,
as tends to be done in almost *every* virtual sphere, but as
a way of interrupting the normal operation of the Matrix.

This site is particularly important, most specifically
because of it's longevity, which is unique to the medium,
as similar efforts in print, TV, or radio have tended to be
more ephemeral. This sets it apart from say, a comedy sketch
on late night TV, which people laugh about but then forget,
or remember but then can't fully convey the impact to
another person. With the web, all you need do is pass
along the URL to those who are in need of the Red Pill.

For those of you who are new media professors, this should
be exhibit number one with your students.

Art McGee
Principal Consultant
Virtual Identity
Communications+Media+Technology