[Air-l] ethical guidelines for chat rooms?

Malin Sveningsson malin.sveningsson at kau.se
Thu Feb 13 03:24:03 PST 2003

Hi Janet,
I wrote my dissertation (published in 2001) about web chat and had to do
some thinking about ethics. If you're interested, you can either read a
case study based on my dissertation's work, which was prepared for a
discussion in A(o)IR's ethics working group. I've also written a more
general article on ethics in online ethnography.
Sveningsson, M. (2001) Ethical Aspects of Research in a Web Chat Community.
A case study for Ethics Working Group, Association of Internet Researchers.
Available (2002-01-15) at: http://www.cddc.vt.edu/aoir/ethics/case.html

Sveningsson, M. (forthcoming) Ethics in Internet Ethnography. I Buchanan,
E. (ed.), Virtual Research Ethics: Issues and Controversies. Hershey: Idea
Group Publishing.

At 15:22 2003-02-12 -0800, you wrote:
>Can anyone on the mailing list direct me to the most
>recent ethical recommendations for research on chat
>rooms?
>
>Thanks, Janet A.
>
>=====
>Janet Armentor, Ph.D. Student