[Air-l] key terms/concepts for understanding the web

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Thu Jan 30 08:40:45 PST 2003

>Are we down to a problem of semantics here?
>
>Louise

Yes.

People studying the internet who are not User Experience
professionals use the same term to mean different things.

Now if we're talking about a term like "hegemony" or "subaltern" or
one which clearly emerges from a very particular intellectual
tradition or was coined by one particular theorist, I think we can
agree that there are right and wrong ways to use the term.

When we have words like "user" and "experience" we are talking about
words that may have long traditions in different fields and even if
everyone within one field believes the term to be theirs and the
definition to be clear, it doesn't mean that others outside the field
will or should relinquish rights to use the term to mean the things
that they have always taken it to mean. Louise makes the contrast
between 'what the user experiences' and 'what experience the user
has', but grammatically the term 'user experience' does not
priviledge one interpretation over the other, so we have to rely on
disciplinary convention to make that distinction. My discipline would
recognize the importance of that same distinction, but we wouldn't
rely on the phrase "user experience" to capture it. Google searches
tell us what sources that are on the web and use that phrase
prominently mean by it, but I hope we haven't reached the
intellectual point where we use Google to resolve questions of
theoretical meaning and conceptualization. There are a lot of
academic ways to use a term that Google won't catch till it starts
indexing the content of all our publications.

Nancy Baym 	http://www.ku.edu/home/nbaym
Communication Studies, University of Kansas
102 Bailey Hall, 1440 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
Association of Internet Researchers: http://aoir.org