[Air-l] work and ICT - literature query

Yvonne Waern waern at dsv.su.se
Fri Jan 3 10:06:21 PST 2003

Dear Louise and others who might be interested,

>I'm just about to launch on some interdisciplinary research on 'ICT
>and work' (the others are sociologists/anthropologists, I am an HCI
>person interested in CSCW and ethnographic techniques). So we're
>coming at the issue from some fairly different literatures.

There is (of course!) a lot of work on these issues from various
perspectives. I come to think on work psychology, stress, etc,
related to ICT. Also, of course, the issue of "organizational
memory", that has been as much promoted as critisized. I myself have,
together with my doctoral students, been working some on the issue of
ICT in collaborative work with "dynamic systems": control rooms,of
different kinds. Some journal publications that should be easily
available are:

Garbis, C. & Wærn, Y. (1999). Team coordination and communication in
a rescue command staff - The role of public representations. Le
Travail Humain, 62, 273-291.
Artman, H., Waern, Y. (1999) Distributed cognition in an Emergency
Co-ordination center. Cognition technology and Work, 1:237-246

You can also approach Christer Garbis or Henrik Artman directly for
knowing more about their dissertations within this field of "dynamic
control": chrga at tema.liu.se, artman at nada.kth.se.

Good luck!
Yvonne

--