[Air-l] work and ICT - literature query

david silver dsilver at u.washington.edu
Sat Jan 4 13:25:09 PST 2003

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Louise Ferguson wrote:

> Happy new year to you all!
>
> I'm just about to launch on some interdisciplinary research on 'ICT and
> work' (the others are sociologists/anthropologists, I am an HCI person
> interested in CSCW and ethnographic techniques). So we're coming at the
> issue from some fairly different literatures.

Louise,

i highly recommend a relatively recent issue of Information, Communication
& Society, guest edited by Nina Wakeford (Volume 5, Number 1/January 01,
2002)
http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/app/home/issue.asp?wasp=6alpnjxtqtxm4
fxhlbcl&referrer=parent&backto=journal,2,14;linkingpublicationresults,1,1

Editorial Comment
Nina Wakeford

Keeping Up: Web Design Skill and The Reinvented Worker
Nalini P. Kotamraju

Hot Jobs in Cool Places. The Material Cultures of New Media Product
Spaces: The Case of South of the Market, San Francisco
Andy C. Pratt

Occupational Technologists as an Occupational Community: Ethnographic
Evidence
Daniel Marschall

Cool, Creative and Egalitarian? Exploring Gender in Project-Based New
Media Work in Europe
Rosalind Gill

Trusting Strangers: Work Relationships in Four High-Tech Communities
J.A. English-Lueck, Charles N. Darrah, Andrea Saveri

Playing at work: Understanding the Future of Work Practices at the
Institute for the Future
Lonny J Brooks, Geoffrey Bowker

i also suggest the work of Gina Neff.

david silver