[Air-l] Internet as a database?

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 15 14:40:44 PST 2003

Dear Aoir's -

Thanks, Jeremy and others for replying. It's also good
to think about the split between comm & DB as
differnet aspects of the net. I am not really trying
to take this on academically, so to speak, but to
understand it for myself.

I guess it's the problem of transport that is still
bothering me.  I can see that cmc helps out with the
transport idea, because communication always includes
some sort of broadcast/reception, send & receive
model.  I've never thought of DBs that way.

I did think, however, of the power of the query.  It
is clear that the query starts the transport mechanism
for internet, that as one inputs or clicks on an
address, that invokes TCP/IP for server to send the
file to the desktop making the query.

So the query would work as a sort of mechanism to
activate the database, that model works out great  for
the search engine.

How one arrives at the database, especially a
proprietary DB as you were talking about, it doesn't
seem to be a send & receive option but with the query
invoked, maybe that makes sense, but . . .

Ok, maybe I'm the only one interested in this . . .

Denise

=====
"it's easier to use your mouse than your brain"
Denise Rall, Sustainable Forestry Mentoring Coordinator &
PhD student, School of Education, Southern Cross University,
PO Box 157, Lismore, NSW, 2480 Australia
Phone +61-2-6624-8627 Fax +61-2-6624-8637
Office (Tuesdays) (02) 6620 3577 Mob 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/edu/research/deniserall/index.html