[Air-l] Re: SMS

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Jan 17 17:48:47 PST 2003

likewise, today i saw what i thought might be my first 5x media usage.
I was passing through the bridge on a library here, we have an open
networking area, and i glanced to the side to see a young gentleman's
screen who appeared to have his cell phone and headset going as he was
talking quietly into it, a book propped up on his keyboard, a video
going on the screen that i could not make out in passing, a webpage in
the background, and a chat system which looked like yahooim in the
foreground, so he could glance up from the book, catch the video and
the chat, and go back reading and typing simultaneously while talking
on his cellphone.    I consider myself fairly media adept, reading,
while chatting on irc, watching videos and writing, etc., I might get
to 3 or 4 textual arenas if i am coding or the like, but by adding the
video and having the phone going just shocked me.

has anyone seen similar things?  i know campuses are probably a limit
experience in some cultural settings, but at what level does plural
mediations go beyond immersion?  and how do we tell when something like
5 media environments is immersive to any particular person?