[Air-l] MMRPG cites, study (Re: Greetings and Games)

Dmitri Williams dcwillia at umich.edu
Sun Jan 19 09:26:04 PST 2003

Federico-

In addition to the good cites Lisbeth suggested, there is a study out
of Simon Fraser U (which seems to have a good number of MA students
interested and working on games in general) which has interesting
results:
http://www.sfu.ca/media-lab/onlinegaming/

You should also go straight out and buy "Avatars Offline," a
low-budget, but thoughtful DVD documentary on MMRPG players. My
undergraduates really enjoyed viewing and it was great as a starting
point for effects, culture and policy discussions. It's at
www.avatarsoffline.com

I'd also recommend reviewing the literature on MUDs and MOOs. There is
a fair amount of material on them, even beyond Sherry Turkle's
fascinating work in "Life on the Screen."

And if you're going to be working in this area, you should subscribe to
the digiplay list at www.topica.com

For myself, I have a two-wave panel study of Asheron's Call 2 that will
launch within the month (knock wood, and committee members willing),
and should provide causal data, mostly about social networks, but some
on general effects as well. A second study of The Sims Online is in
negotiation.

As a sidenote, I have a draft of my survey instrument ready and in
place at
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dcwillia/surveys/SurveyIntro.html

If anyone is interested enough in the effects of online games over
time, I'd love to get feedback on my survey instrument. I'm also open
to adding a question or two (within reason), so if anyone is interested
in collaborating, write me off-list.

Cheers,

Dmitri
Dmitri Williams