[Air-l] SMS and VLMS

James Watt wattj at rpi.edu
Mon Jan 20 08:56:47 PST 2003

The members of this list are clearly interested in Short Messages, given
the recent thread.

I'd like to suggest that this interest be expanded to apply to the posts on
this list -- my most recent digest contained a number of messages that
quoted entire prior digests, that in turn quoted prior messages, that in
turn were posted in both ASCII and Mime format. As a result, I had to plow
through the same messages as many as 6 times in a single list digest. So
this is what is turning into my annual appeal to posters to *not* quote
entire digests, and to excerpt only the relevant material from long prior
postings when replying. I enjoy the discussion on this list, but
increasingly I just delete these huge, redundant digests rather than
spending the time to separate the 30% of new material from the 70% of old
stuff. A little care in preparing the post will improve the reading
experience for lots of people.

James H. Watt
Professor and Chair, Department of Language, Literature, and Communication
Director, Social and Behavioral Research Laboratory
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 8th Street, Sage Lab 4708
Troy, NY 12180-3590
email: wattj at rpi.edu