[Air-l] IM and SMS: Linguistic Analysis

Charles Ess cmess at drury.edu
Mon Jan 20 10:05:43 PST 2003

I'm aware of Ylva Hård af Segerstad's dissertation,
Use and Adaptation of Written Language to the Conditions of
Computer-Mediated Communication,
Department of Linguistics, Göteborg University, Sweden, 2002.

Ylva also did a presentation based on her doctoral work at CATaC'02:
"Effects of mobile text messaging on the Swedish written language," CATaC'02
conference proceedings, Fay Sudweeks and Charles Ess (eds.), 355-360.
(Copies of the Proceedings can be purchased online - see the CATaC'02 URL
below: as well, I believe Ylva is a member of this list and might be willing
to share some of her material with interested colleagues?)

Cheers!

Charles Ess
Distinguished Research Professor, Interdisciplinary Studies
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.                          Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO  65802  USA            FAX: 417-873-7435
Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html
Co-chair, CATaC 2002: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/~sudweeks/catac02/

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23