[Air-l] Thesis Help!

SocAdmin admin at sociopranos.com
Mon Jan 20 13:31:23 PST 2003

Hi,
I am currently working on my fourth year honors dissertation in Sociology.
My topic is Celebrity Culture and the Rise of a Hollywood Star; Constructing
Angelina Jolie.
Basically i am interesting in looking at the social construction of a
Hollywood Star with regards to how someone becomes famous and how this is
,created, maintained and perpetuated in the press. In particular I am
looking at why Hollywood stars exist or at least some of the reasons why
they are so popular. I have chosen Angelina Jolie to focus my research
because i am already familiar with her work and she is a star who reached
prominence over quite a short period of time.
The reason I am writing in here for help is that my thesis is more of an
investigation rather than a piece of work which searches for a conclusive
answer to a specific question. this seems to be causing my supervisor some
problems yet i personally feel that from the social constructionist
standpoint it is pointless looking for a 'truth'. How is it possible to
write up such a paper, where i can justify my methodology and approach in
such a way that my supervisor can understand there is no real reason to look
for some conclusive answer.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Obviously i know this doesn't fall in line with recent topics but you are
all far smarter than i am so i hope you will spare a little time to help a
budding academic.
Thanks
Angela
P.S. My research also includes much work online which is originally how i
found this forum. This is another area where my University is slightly
behind but i'm hoping that if i hand in a really good piece of work that
this will show them the benefits of using the internet as a research tool
for future students that may follow.

Sociopranos - Society Redefined: All new members welcome!
www.sociopranos.com
eLearning, ICT and Social Inclusion Discussion Forum
http://bbs.odeluce.stir.ac.uk