[Air-l] Informal programming learning?

jeremy jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Jan 28 13:35:15 PST 2003

yes, i have Brown and Duguid and have read some of it.   i find it goes
well with much of the work on tacit knowing in technological fields such
as found in Michael Polanyi's work amongst others.  learning tacit
knowledge is also somewhat exemplified in leviathan and the air pump by
shapin and shaffer, seeley brown also has some interesting work on the
web like http://www.creatingthe21stcentury.org/JSB4-motorbike.html  but
all of this ties in with that huge set of literatures on organizational
learning, org. theory, knowledge management, etc.  which then takes us
back to looking for in open source.  Now, I'm sort of approaching these
open source questions through the rubric of 'epistemic communities'
which i sort of take from *Epistemic Cultures: How the Sciences Make
Knowledge by Knorr-Cetina, but you can find it elsewhere.  If you google
on some of these terms with open source, interesting papers arise here
and there.

A while ago, '2000', when myself and a few others were running a
side-program called cyberassistants, which was a program oriented toward
using undergraduate and graduate students in the humanities and social
sciences to 'span the gap' in higher education computing support in
various disciplines, I set about developing a set of knowledge trees*
which led from basic skills toward complex skills, such as starting in
web design and ending up in scripting, databases, etc. or from basic
maintenance to advanced trouble-shooting, etc, I ended with having
people learn by doing.  This generated a problem centered around tacit
knowledges and the translation of knowledge in practical and
performative environments.  In short, the problem was that know-how for
certain groups of people was not a universal knowledge, but highly
located knowledge.  So while they understood that word document could be
edited, and understood that an HTML document could be edited, they did
not see that it was the same thing, thus when presented with a block of
code that could be edited they did not make always the inductive leap
even upon presentation and instruction.    In the end, I started moving
away from those problems and thinking about other questions involved in
getting certain populations using certain things in certain ways, and i
started looking at nodes of translation in actor network theory and
similar things.  Somewhere in one of my archives, i have a paper started
on using undergraduate logic classes as the point of translation for
understanding certain digital technologies.  In short, it was about
finding a common way of understanding how things operated and then
allowing certain groups of students and faculty to leverage that point
of translation to further their own understanding and interest.
 However, 2001, i closed cyberassistants as the fundamental structure of
the program changed due to personel changes, and that ended most of this
line of enquiry for me, though I still find it interesting and if others
are interested in trying similar types of programs at their school, and
I think we did manage to export some of the principles to some programs
trhough SURA, I'd be interested.  I'm also interested in how informal
programming learning occurs, because that is inherently what
cyberassistants were supposed to be learning in one part of their job
and to some extent they did.