[Air-l] breaking the rules - summary

Ulla Bunz bunz at scils.rutgers.edu
Tue Jan 28 13:51:01 PST 2003

A couple of weeks ago I asked for advice on literature on how a
group/community reacts to norm violation and what happens to the people
who violate the norms. (see below)

I received the following, helpful suggestions. Thanks!
Ulla

Adam Joinson suggests:
Joinson, A.N. and Dietz-Uhler, B. (2002). Explanations for the
perpetration of and reactions to deception in a virtual community.
Social Science
Computer Review, 20 (3), 275-289.

Stine Gotved writes: I wrote my Ph.D. (in Danish) about an online case
study (conducted in 1996) from a newsgroup (rec.arts.books.tolkien) and
I took a nearly classical-Goffman approach on social interaction and the
community's attempts to exclude/include especially newcomers. My paper
to aoir1 (Newsgroup Interaction as Urban Life)was about the formation of
social norms.
You also might want to look at Nancy Baym's articles, especially the
early ones
from the mid-nineties.
Michele Tepper (in an antology edited by David Porter, I think) takes
her departure from Bourdieu and talks about social/cultural capital in
the evolvement of norms visible in the so-called 'trolls'.

Janet Sternberg completed her dissertation in 2001, "Misbehavior in
Cyber Places: The Regulation of Online Conduct in Virtual Communities on
the Internet." The dissertationis available from UMI in both printed and
electronic form (PDF file) at
http://wwwlib.umi.com/dissertations/fullcit/3022160

Uwe Matzat writes: I just finished a short paper in German on norms in
Internet
groups. You can find it at
http://www.uni-duesseldorf.de/~matzat/papers.htm
(Soziale Netzwerke und die Entstehung von Normen in akademischen
Online-Gruppen)

Yvonne Waern suggests two works in Swedish: One is about norms in using
a "MUD" (The Swedish Mud, Svenskmud), the other about norms in a chat
channel.
Here are the authors:
Svenskmud: Daniel Pargman: pargman at nada.kth.se
Chat: Malin Sveningsson: malisven at kau.se>