[Air-l] key terms/concepts for understanding the web

Jennifer Stromer-Galley jstromer at albany.edu
Thu Jan 30 07:34:11 PST 2003

I would add 'interactivity.'

One of the remarkable elements of the Web is the enabling of feedback
within the medium itself (ala 1960s cybernetics theory), in the form of
search engines, hyperlinks, etc. as well as feedback between people
using the Web (chat programs or message boards).

Interactivity opens up a whole new arena for possible forms of social
interaction to occur (like community) IF a) people set up websites to
take advantage of those features and b) users of the websites use the
features offered to them.

Best,
~Jennifer Stromer-Galley