[Air-l] key terms/concepts for understanding the web

Ulla Bunz bunz at scils.rutgers.edu
Thu Jan 30 09:22:14 PST 2003

May I suggest another term?
Cyberslang.
I don't know who invented the term, but probably someone thought of it
20 years before me.
To avoid confusion, here is how I define/explain it, and I'm open to
other interpretations:
To me, cyberslang is the language that comes out of written electronic
communication. It started with lol, or IMHO, as abbreviations. Other
examples are ppl (for people), or txt msg (for text message), or cul8r
(for see you later). This last one in particular I consider a prime
example of cyberslang. These are written examples. But there are also
words that are created through or about electronic communication, such
as IMing (sending an instant message) that are then used both in written
interaction, and in spoken interaction. To me, that is slang that has to
do with the cyber environment, thus, cyberslang.
Just another thought.
Ulla

Ulla Bunz
Assistant Professor