[Air-l] key terms/concepts for understanding the web

Charles Ess cmess at lib.drury.edu
Thu Jan 30 11:34:41 PST 2003

I've tried to review all the excellent and helpful contributions before
throwing in my 2 cents - apologies if I overlooked something.
While it may be implicit in the references to ethnographic approaches to
online research, I haven't seen

CULTURE

as a candidate - the meaning of which, of course, is wildly ambiguous and
multiple.  But it seems clear to me - and a growing number of others (e.g.,
Gitte Stald and Thomas Tufte, _Global Encounters: Media and Cultural
Transformation_ [Luton: Luton University Press, 2002]) - that precisely
because the Web has something of a global reach (this reach has to be
carefully qualified, both in terms of available infrastructure _and_ access
as mediated by culture, not computers - smile), it becomes the vehicle of
and site for a vast range of cross-cultural and intercultural communications
that require careful attention to both culture and communication in
encompassing senses.

Relatedly (because cultures entail moral values and ethical principles), as
the very proud chair of the AoIR ethics working committee - I'd lose my job
if I didn't mention ETHICS as a candidate as well?
Narrowly, Internet research ethics - broadly: what the are ethics of
cross-cultural / intercultural communication as mediated by the Web?

Hope this is helpful - and good luck!

cheers,

Charles Ess
Distinguished Research Professor, Interdisciplinary Studies
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.                          Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO  65802  USA            FAX: 417-873-7435
Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html
Co-chair, CATaC 2002: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/~sudweeks/catac02/

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23