[Air-l] key terms/concepts for understanding the web

Andrew Herman AHERMAN at holycross.edu
Fri Jan 31 06:10:01 PST 2003

I agree wholeheartedly with John here,although IP issues transcend copyright (i.e trademark disputes with respect to domain names and patent disputes with respect to electronic business methods).  There is not a day when there is not some story coming across the wires about struggles over the meaning of intellectual property rights on the web.

Andrew Herman, Ph. D.
Visiting Associate Professor of Sociology
College of the Holy Cross
Worcester, MA 01610
(508) 793-2531

>>> john at logie.net 01/30/03 10:02PM >>>
My belated nomination:

"copyright"

I've weighed the options, and I think this is ultimately preferable to
the umbrella term "intellectual property." The bulk of the I.P. issues
in electronic composing spaces are copyright issues, and, at lwast in a
U.S. context, copyright hovers over, in, and around almost every act of
'Net-based communication.

Best,

John Logie
Rhetoric