[Air-l] Warchalking does not exist: a wager.

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Tue Jul 1 04:22:06 PDT 2003

Christian, it's an interesting bet, but it's not one I'd take up -
the crux of it revolves around what is "meaningful" as a directory,
and I agree with you that it's not such if we consider it in sort of
"traditional" terms concerning what a directory is and does. That's
not to say, though, that it doesn't potentially serve other purposes,
less obviously functional ones, such as a marker during games of what
we might term "hide-and-seek" (for lack of a better name) and
treasure hunts among the technoscenti. It's also probably been fairly
quickly eclipsed by the numerous "traditional" online directories
that show wireless access points, for all the reasons you note - and
then some (the advantages of searching, for instance). Most Wi-Fi
devices also include a means by which one can search for a node. I've
walked around downtown Chicago on several occasions and have found
numerous nodes that way, most of which have not been marked. The most
recent mark I saw was about two months ago, in early May, on the side
of a building in the financial district...but there was no node that
I could find there. Meanwhile, a block north at a Starbucks, as you
might guess, there was a node.

Sj