[Air-l] democracy and culture

Joan Korenman korenman at umbc.edu
Tue Jul 1 07:17:33 PDT 2003

--On Tuesday, July 01, 2003 6:21 AM -0500 Charles Ess
<cmess at lib.drury.edu> wrote:

> In this context, I observed that in the U.S., the view seems to be
> that politicians are far less impressed with e-mail campaigns,
> precisely because they're so easy to organize, than with actual
> paper / postage stamped letters.  (The current U.S.
> administration's ability to ignore e-mail protests over the past
> year or so regarding Iraq is perhaps an extreme example?)

There has been a good deal of attention lately to how Howard Dean,
one of the less-well-known contenders for the Democratic presidential
nomination, has successfully used the Internet both to become better
known and to raise money.  Just this morning, a front-page article in
the Washington Post focused on Dean's fundraising success:
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54865-2003Jun30.html?
nav=hptop_tb>

	Joan

	Joan Korenman, Director
	Center for Women and Information Technology
	Baltimore, MD 21250  USA
	korenman at umbc.edu
	http://www.umbc.edu/cwit/