[Air-l] democracy & culture; political flash apps

Jennifer Stromer-Galley jstromer at albany.edu
Thu Jul 10 11:50:21 PDT 2003

I know this thread died out, but I've been thinking about Philip's post
as I've been painting rooms in my house in Philadelphia to sell, so that
I can get moved up to Albany.

The question I'm mulling over is, what is the bottom line? How does one
tell if the Internet "has made a difference" in any context, really, but
specifically as it relates to political campaigns. Pundits say that the
bottom line is winning the election. That's the ultimate goal of the
mainstream candidate, and so that's the test to which the Internet
should be put. But, Philip argues that the Internet has made a
difference in campaigns where the candidate didn't win. But, I'm stuck
on that pesky question, how has it made a difference? If winning isn't
the criterion, then what set of criteria are we talking about? What IS
the model? Is it mobilization of voters? Is it information dissemination
about the candidate? Both? Do we know it when we see it? How do we
measure it?

I also want to pause a sec., and backtrack and say that it's not that
the Internet by its existence makes a difference, but makes a difference
in how it is used. So, really the question is, how does the Internet get
used to "makes a difference" in a positive way for democratic
government?

Alright, back to painting . . . .

~JSG
P.S. I'm including Philip's last note to refresh memories, since it's
been a few weeks.