[Air-l] 1$CAN on sophisticates and lefties over candidates

Rod Carveth rodcarveth at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 20 13:45:44 PDT 2003

Hey, can I get into some of this action?  Now that I just bought a house, I
need all the cash I can get.

I'll take JSG's position.  I can't think of a theoretical reason why the Net
should result in more political sophistication (how exactly would you
measure that, by the way?) or more liberal political thinking.  In fact, the
first wave of Internet adopters tended to be Republican (given that they
were more affluent than the general population), and there doesn't appear to
exist any research indicating that group has become more liberal.

You could make the argument that the Internet, because of its low cost of
entry, allows far more voices to enter into the political discussion, and
hence it's more democratic (though that does not equal liberal).  And,
unlike radio, the political discourse reflects more positions (other than
conservative).  In reality, however, most Internet users go to websites that
are "branded", often through their association with other media (that is,
CNN.com, MSNBC.com) or mentions on the major media (that is, Matt Drudge and
WorldNet daily).  Thus, while the Internet theoretically offers lots of
choices, users tend to select from a limited menu.  In addition, they tend
to engage in selective exposure when they do select websites and discussion
groups (you don't see many Rush Limbaugh fans selecting fair.org).

I don't know when a political candidate will be able to attribute his or her
win due to the Internet (Howard Dean's success so far with the Net appears
more media hype than reality), but I much more sanguine about those
prospects than the Internet creating a more politically sophisticated (and
liberal) voter base.

I'll even put up 1$US.

BTW, JSG, getting midnight blue paint in your hair will probably make you
popular with your students.  All you will need is a tongue piercing.

Rod Carveth
RIT