[Air-l] resisting subpeonas

Matthew Allen M.Allen at exchange.curtin.edu.au
Wed Jul 23 09:57:18 PDT 2003

Australia's courts have effectively forced big universities including U
Sydney and U Melbourne (?), to hand over records that permit identification
of alleged copyright violators. I don't have a reference but zdnet.com.au
will probably give you a quick rundown on it.

The university I work at is running very scared on all aspects of Internet
liability...our current management buzz phrase is 'compliance to avoid
risk'...not necessarily in sync with academic freedom, or learning
effectiveness, but, sadly I must admit, a fairly safe strategy in light of
the record industry litigation elsewhere in Oz.

Matt Allen