[Air-l] Sociolinguistics in virtual communities

Debbie d.herring at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Jul 10 15:04:13 PDT 2003

Hi,

I've suddenly discovered that my thesis needs a huge injection of
sociolinguistics to pull it together.   Can anybody recommend
(a) an accessible overview of the field, prefereably written in the
last 5 years, and
(b) anything that's a "must read" on linguistic communities?

I've been doing a part/obs case study of an internet community,
so anything with specific reference to linguistic sommunities in
that kind of context would be particularly useful.

Thanks
--
Urban Theology Unit, Sheffield
http://cybertheology.org.uk