[Air-l] IT and political science research

Kenneth Cousins kcousins at gvpt.umd.edu
Wed Jul 16 05:41:20 PDT 2003

Hello, all.  I am hoping the community here may be able to help me
understand the extent to which information technologies (IT) are being
used in Political Science research and teaching.  My colleagues rarely
use computers for anything other than word processing or statistical
analysis; by documenting the breadth of IT-usage in research and
teaching, I hope to begin persuading some of them to be more creative
with these technologies.

With this in mind, I am seeking citations to published research which
presents a new, IT-based approach, along the following (or additional)
modes of inquiry or analysis:

* Surveying (e.g., dynamic or internet-based)
* Interviewing (e.g., digital recording, e-mail)
* Focus-groups (e.g., instant messaging, "chat rooms")
* Internet media (e.g., usenets, weblogs, websites)
* Traditional media (distributed electronically)
* Process tracing, cognitive mapping
* Experiments / simulations
* Socio-economic mapping (e.g., GIS, GAP analysis)
* Content / textual analysis (e.g., lexical, syntactic, semantic)
* Code and retrieve
* Boolean analysis (i.e., discrete or fuzzy-set)
* Theory-building (mapping relationships via hyperlinks, Forester
diagramming)

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  I am willing to provide a
compiled bibliography to interested parties.

Regards,

Ken Cousins
Harrison Program on the Future Global Agenda
Department of Government and Politics
University of Maryland, College Park
T: (301) 405-4133
C:  (301) 758-4490
F:  (301) 314-7619
kcousins at gvpt.umd.edu

"The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Curiosity has its own reason for existing."
       Albert Einstein