[Air-l] Studies on K-12 reading, reading comprehension, and/or learning on the Internet

Don Leu djleu at uconn.edu
Mon Jul 21 09:12:04 PDT 2003

Hi everyone.

I have really enjoyed following the posts to this list and exchanging
information and ideas with a number of members.  We seem like a
wonderfully diverse and supportive group.  I am hoping to get to my
first conference this year in Toronto so that I can begin to make
personal contact.

I am writing to let interested individuals know of a project we are
working on at the University of Connecticut and to request advice.

First the work.  This year we are conducting a reanalysis of the 2002
US National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) data on reading
(national data of reading achievement in the US).  We seek to develop a
factor analytic model of relationships between reading achievement and
technology use by race, class, and gender. Part of this work also
involves completing a research review of experimental and
quasi-experimental studies of reading, reading comprehension, and
learning among K-12 (roughly ages 5-18) students within Internet
contexts.  The purpose of this review is to inform both the factor
analytic model we are developing as well as to inform the development
of the next NAEP assessment, with an eye to possibly expanding NAEP’s
current definition of reading to include reading on the Internet in
their assessment.

Now the request for advice.  We have started an extensive review of the
literature for this last part of the project using the traditional
tools: PsychInfo, ERIC, Soc Abstracts, etc.  As part of our procedures,
we are also querying experts as to the most important journals where
this type of work appears and to the most important studies with which
they are familiar on reading, reading comprehension, and learning
within K-12 Internet contexts.

If you are familiar with this area of study, could you provide the
titles of the most important journals publishing this type of work
and/or any critically important studies that we should not overlook.

If it seems appropriate, please send this to me off list.
(djleu at uconn.edu).  Many thanks!

Cheers,

Don

--
Donald J. Leu
John & Maria Neag Endowed Chair in Literacy and Technology

" Every one of us is given the gift of life, and what a strange gift it
is. If it is preserved jealously and selfishly, it impoverishes and
saddens. But if it is spent for others, it enriches and beautifies."
-- Geraldine Ferraro, Acceptance speech at the 1984 Democratic Party
National Convention