[Air-l] July, 2003 AoIR Executive Committee Report Update

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Thu Jul 24 11:51:52 PDT 2003

The report from Liss Jeffrey, conference coordinator, was
inadvertently omitted from the report posted yesterday. Here it is
(thanks Liss!):

The Toronto crew continues to work on the "Broadening the Band" conference.
Check out the web site www.ecommons.net/aoir for updates. An online forum
has just started up on the site
(
<http://www.ecommons.net/aoir/p/list.php?f=2>http://www.ecommons.net/aoir/p/list.php?f=2
) so that our conference
delegates can locate room-mates and enjoy a more affordable stay at the
downtown Hilton, our AoiR 4.0 network central. A bit of cash raised in seed
funding from the Bell University Labs at the University of Toronto has been
put to work to develop an easier way to update the Program databases that
we have created. You will see results soon. After the Toronto conference,
we will donate this basic software to AoiR. (Thanks David Mason, Christie
Hurrell, Bernie Hogan and the working group for help with this, and Matt
Allen for handling the updates.) Please register if you have not yet <
<http://order.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?storeID=5WS1&&>http://order.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?storeID=5WS1&& >
Information on
hotel registration can be found here: <
<http://ecommons.net/aoir/registration.html#hotel>http://ecommons.net/aoir/registration.html#hotel >
Hoping that perhaps
those running for graduate student representative might volunteer to help
with special plans for grad students, welcomes and birds of a feather at
the Toronto conference. If you are interested, please contact Olivia
Robertson <olivia.robertson at utoronto.ca>, who is our chief volunteer
wrangler. BTW the new directors of the AoiR Toronto 2003 not for profit
are: Liss Jeffrey, Catherine Middleton and Olivia Robertson. We have
started to assign some chairs to panels, and to schedule certain special
events ( including a memorial moment for Professor Ron Kling by some of his
former students and colleagues), so if you are interested in chairing or
have an idea that might help conference life, please drop a note to
aoir at ecommons.net  -- Francophones especially encouraged to apply! Our
meetings continue 4 - 6 PM every Monday, so if you want to join in, come
along or drop us an email. Hope you are enjoying the summertime and see you
in Toronto for October's northern air :).

--
Nancy Baym	http://www.ku.edu/home/nbaym
Communication Studies, University of Kansas