[Air-l] network density on friendster

aoir.z3z at danah.org aoir.z3z at danah.org
Thu Jul 31 16:12:02 PDT 2003

Jeremy - i'm pretty actively studying Friendster.  I'm also blogging all
of the material that i can find:

     http://www.zephoria.org/snt/

Aldon - i'm sorry that you don't see the value of this system.  I actually
find it quite fascinating for the following reasons:

1) Identity presentation.  People are actively trying to figure out how to
present themselves in a ?public? manner on this site.  They are constantly
negotiating the context of Friendster and readjusting their presentation
accordingly.

2) Articulated networks.  What does it mean to publicly articulate one's
social network?   Who do you choose to indicate as a friend? What are the
implications of that decision?  This is quite different than
behavior-driven networks.

3) Group/identity play.  What does it mean to have fun with identity?
Narratives get created around fake characters.  People value the collapse
of the network - why?

4) Meme spread.  What is the spread of this meme across different social
beehives?  Who find is interesting?  Why?  What do they do with it?

Now, this all assumes that "play" is an acceptable usage.  I should note
that there are plenty of people dating based on Friendster.  This is a
very useful element for people (and the intended purpose).  Another
important use is finding old friends and recognizing and interacting with
familiar strangers (see rant on my blog).

As far as use of networks, pay attention to the up-and-coming Tribe.net
(pre-beta released this week).  This site focuses on listings instead of
sex, something that encourages less play, but more usefulness.  Linked In
is another one focused more on the job elements of the netowkr.

Of course, i truly believe that the problem you are seeing is because of
the articulated network aspect of this.  I believe that it's necessary to
focus more on behavior-driven networks if we're going to make this
"useful."  My long term answer to solving this is to focus on
behavior-driven networks.

[On an aside, i would not argue that 4 degrees are actually friends...
just people in your network.

Oh, and the problem is that you want to link to Howard Dean to show
affiliation and shared interest with others connected.  Friendster doesn't
give you a better way to do this.  There's no doubt that this is a
weakness, but it does say something about people's motivations, no?]

Anyhow, i could go on and on about uses of Friendster and would *love* to
hear if others have thought about this system.

danah