[Air-l] <nettime> Product Placements in Learning Environments (fwd)

robert m. tynes rtynes at u.washington.edu
Mon Jul 7 21:55:39 PDT 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:15:49 -0700
From: Steve Cisler <cisler at pobox.com>
To: nettime-l at bbs.thing.net
Subject: <nettime> Product Placements in Learning Environments

I just finished writing a paper entitled, "Product Placements in
Learning Environments: From Keystone-Mast to Microsoft"  a sort of
history of technology companies making donations to schools, tech
centers, and telecenters.  It begins in the 1920's and concludes with
a new initiative by Microsoft in developing countries.  As someone who
has been engaged in these types of donations I thought this would be a
good time to reflect on the trade-offs and expectations about this
kind of corporate giving and whether you should be suspicious of geeks
bearing gifts.

http://eduaction.net/productplacement.html

I'll be offline and camping in Canada for a week or so, but your
comments are welcome.

Steve Cisler

#  more info: majordomo at bbs.thing.net and "info nettime-l" in the msg body
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime at bbs.thing.net