[Air-l] RE: A POSSIBLE POSTING TO THE ASSOCIATION'S EMAIL LIST

David Peterson davidpet at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 6 18:12:18 PDT 2003

Dear AIR-L Administrator:

    Below please find a message that I am submitting for possible
posting as part of the Association’s email list.
    Thanks.

Sincerely Yours,
David Peterson
davidpet at mindspring.com

    FYI: PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR AN INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE IN EFFORTS TO
REVERSE NEW FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION RULES THAT WOULD ALLOW
FEWER CORPORATIONS TO OWN AND CONTROL AN EVER-GREATER SHARE OF THE U.S.
MEDIA.
    OR GO DIRECTLY TO www.mediareform.net/stopthefcc AND FOLLOW THE
SIMPLE STEPS YOU’LL NEED TO TAKE TO TELL YOUR SENATORS AND
REPRESENTATIVE IN CONGRESS THAT YOU WANT THEM TO VOTE TO REVERSE THIS
BETRAYAL OF THE PUBLIC TRUST.

A message from Robert McChesney and John Nichols:

Big media is getting bigger and our democracy is at stake.

As you know, a month ago the FCC dramatically relaxed media ownership
regulations, suffocating the cornerstone of American democracy: a free,
fair, and open public debate.

Because one million Americans raised their voices against the FCC
decision,
the Senate Commerce Committee recently sent a bill to the Senate floor
for
a vote that would roll back many of the rules. Today the challenge is to
get that bill to the floor of the Senate and House for a vote.

Take 3 Minutes to Stop Media Monopoly: Phone It In.

Call your Congressional representatives and demand that they support the
rollback.  One phone call from a constituent is more effective than
scores
of email petitions.

Go to www.mediareform.net/stopthefcc and follow the easy steps or read
on
for more information.

(Don't worry, you don't need to know your Senators' or Representative's
names, only your zipcode.)

"Roll Back the FCC" legislation now has 38 supporters in the Senate (out
of
100). We need 51 for passage.

The House bills have the overlapping support of 65 cosponsors on HR 2462
and
146 on HR 2052.  We need 216 for passage.

The www.mediareform.net/stopthefcc website will tell you if your members
of
Congress are currently supporting rolling back the FCC. If they are
supportive co-sponsors, then thank them for their support and ask that
they
keep the bill alive. If they not a co-sponsor, ask them to become one.
(suggested script provided online)

Want to learn more about this issue and media reform? Go to our new
organization called Free Press at www.mediareform.net.

Join Free Press.  Call Congress.

For our media.  For our Democracy.

Please send this email along to anyone else you think might be
interested in
having a healthy democratic media system.

Robert McChesney & John Nichols
Free Press
MediaReform.Network