[Air-l] Impact of intense technology use on memorization's quality

Rita Lauria rlauria at att.net
Tue Jul 8 05:56:28 PDT 2003

Serge:

Here's a cite for some  background info. The work is theoretical.

Check Merlin Donald, "The Origins of the Modern Mind: Three Stages in the
Evolution of Culture and Cognition." Harvard University Press, 1991.

Donald sees such memory devices as you mention below as "exended memory" in
which we hold the treasures of all of our cognitive development and
heritage. This is different than impairing our memory. Rather it's more
akin, in my perspective, to the lines of thinking of Vannavar Bush and the
Memex device that he conceived to free up the higher thinking processes from
mundane tasks.

Rita Lauria, Ph.D.
Assoc. Professor; Print & New Media
Dept. of Journalism & Mass Comm