[Air-l] origin of "blog"

Alexander Halavais alex at halavais.net
Wed Jul 9 13:00:22 PDT 2003

Bernard,

I suspect far more people know what a blog is, or even use a blog, than
are familiar with the general term "blog." I would tentatively suggest
this may be part of the problem with surveys that ask whether respondents
read "blogs."

Try asking your students if they know what a "blog" is and be prepared for
some blank stares. (Of course, try asking them what "velleity" means and
you will be met by the same blank stares. Blank stariness is perhaps not
the best metric for dictionary inclusion.)

This time next year, when everyone on AOL has their own blog, it will be
harder for lexicographers to look the other way :).

Alex

PS It is in the dictionary if you pay for the right dictionary: see
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=blog .