[Air-l] Software Camp for NGOs - Croatia (Technology and Social Change)

RG Lentz rgmagnolia at earthlink.com
Thu Jul 17 04:36:20 PDT 2003

Dear Colleagues,

For those studying technology and social change, this might be of interest.
RG Lentz (UT Austin)

--------------------------------------
Summer Source
Software Camp for NGOs
Call for Participants
29th of August to 6th of September (travel days included), Island of Vis,
Croatia
See www.tacticaltech.org <http://www.tacticaltech.org/> for complete
information.
Deadline for applications: 25th July, 2003.

Calling all eRiders - Tech Activists - Free and OpenSource software
Developers - NGO Geeks!

If you are

Working with technology and non-profits in Southeast, Central and Eastern
Europe, the Caucases or Central Asia
Interested in the use of free and open source software for civil society
Ready to spend an intensive week of hands-on training with people from the
region who share your interests

then we want you at the first Summer Source camp.

Tactical Technology Collective Amsterdam and Multimedia Institute Croatia,
in partnership with the Open Society Institute, invite you to Summer Source
camp, a seven-day gathering of individuals and organizations working to
implement free and open source software solutions for civil-society
organizations (NGO's, activists, educators and independent media), from a
practical, application-based perspective; you will do, not just debate. The
camp will offer parallel tracks for implementers and developers with
numerous shared sessions, from open talk to open practice, as well as a
project flea market (an exhibition of free and open source software, tools
and projects for NGOs).

For both developers and implementers, the camp will offer a chance to meet
and work on practical issues with potential project partners.

In concert with a rich program, we will set aside time on the beautiful
island of Vis, Croatia for relaxation and recreation. The gathering will
serve as an oasis of sorts, providing pause and perspective in tandem with
inspiration and informal interaction. You will stay in barracks at a camp
site on the island, and excursions beyond the camp grounds will offer fresh
vistas and opportunities to meet new friends.

We hope to see you there!

Participants

The camp will host a total of sixty participants doing work in central and
eastern Europe, the Balkans, the Caucuses, and Central Asia. We will also
have a few select participants from Asia and Africa. We will work in a
multi-cultural environment, with participants ranging, so far, from India,
Indonesia, Singapore, Southern Africa, Poland, Bulgaria, Armenia, Georgia,
Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Mongolia.

The group will be composed of two distinct sets of participants: those
implementers (non-profit ICT consultants, NGO technology service providers,
NGO-friendly ISP staff, in-house IT staff) tasked with specifying and
deploying technology solutions in NGO's, which would benefit from F/OSS
training, and developers working to create new and better free and open
source software platforms, applications, and infrastructure for NGO's.

Ideally participants will already be familiar with Internet, free and open
software (F/OSS) and NGOs, but we are also looking to grow the community
working on these issues, recruiting those with knowledge and passion to
bolster the success of the event.

Agenda

The aim of the program for implementers is to set up a NGOs’ free and open
source software environment, and to be able to demonstrate the advantages
of the use of free and open source software for civil-society
organisations. Topics offered for this group will include process models
for analysis and implementation, selecting and recommending toolsets,
network options and backend solutions; hands-on implementation and use of
different GNU/Linux distributions, internet and desktop tools; finding
developers and resources; support and training for non-profits; case
studies and success stories.

Topics offered for developers will include technical skillshares; building
developer communities around projects; collaborating with dispersed teams;
funding and revenue generation; working with a non-profit user community;
designing with users in mind; promoting projects to a user base; planning
and managing a free and open source software project for non-profits;
development cycle and business models; case studies and success stories.

A substantial portion of the gathering will be devoted to shared sessions
bringing implementers and developers together for discussion,
brainstorming, practice, alliance building and visioning for the future.

In addition, there will be free-form skillshares and a showcase in open
access, content, services and tools. Evening programs will include music,
lectures, discussions, screenings, and open content.

Event Details and Application

The Summer Source Camp will take place on the island of Vis in Croatia,
from the 29th of August to the 6th of September (travel days included).

Applications may be submitted via email. The application form can be
downloaded at:

http://www.tacticaltech.org>, or requested by e-mail at
sumersource_participants at tacticaltech.org
mailto:sumersource_participants at tacticaltech.org>.

Deadline for applications: 25th July, 2003.

IF YOU NEED A VISA FOR CROATIA PLEASE APPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, SINCE THE
PROCESS MAY TAKE LONG.

Later applications may still be considered depending on space availability.
However, we strongly encourage you to apply as early as you can to make
sure your application is considered.

The fee for each participant is EUR 150.

Participants may apply to a subsidy fund to cover participation fee and
travel costs. We can> '> t cover all travel fees, but we do have a travel
fund that can be used to help those who really need it to get there. If you
need a subsidy to attend, please fill in the funding questions in the
application form and it will be considered. All such requests will be
evaluated on a needs and availability basis, therefore, the earlier you
apply, the greater the chance of receiving a subsidy.

Once participation has been confirmed, we will encourage participants to
make flight reservations as soon as possible, as this is the end of summer
season and flight availability may still be substantially limited. Flights
should be booked to Split or Zagreb, Croatia. Participants will need to
inquire about obtaining a Croatian visa from a Croatian consulate before
confirming participation.

Accommodations will be in barracks at the camp, with sheets and bedding
provided. Breakfast and dinner (included in the participation fee) will be
served daily. There will be additional food and shopping facilities within
a 10-minute walk of the camp site.

We are still open for proposals for the project flea market (exhibition of
free and open source software software, tools and projects for NGOs) and a
few applications for facilitators. If you are interested, contact us at
sumersource_info at tacticaltech.org <mailto:sumersource_info at tacticaltech.org>.

See www.tacticaltech.org <http://www.tacticaltech.org> for complete
information.

Organizers

Summer Source Camp is being organized by Tactical Tech Collective
(www.tacticaltech.org <http://www.tacticaltech.org>> ) and Multimedia
Institute (www.mi2.hr <http://www.mi2.hr>), in partnership with the Open
Society Institute (www.soros.org <htt://www.soros.org>).