[Air-l] hotel information for AOIR Toronto: Broadening the Band

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Thu Jul 31 12:20:29 PDT 2003

Alex and others,

There have been extensive negotiations trying to reduce the hotel
room rates. The hotel room rate subsidizes the meeting room space, so
you are paying both for a place to sleep and a place to sit while you
listen to the papers or to stand when you present your own. If we
book enough hotel rooms, the Hilton gives us the meeting rooms. If we
do not, we will have to pay the meeting room space.

The post-Toronto alternative, if the conference is to continue to be
large enough that meeting at universities is unrealistic, is to fold
the cost of meeting rooms into registration rather than sleeping
rooms, which would be considerably more expensive for all than the
current arrangement.

We are aware that we appeal particularly to younger (and less
affluent) participants, that is why we offer the roomate board and
discounted registration and membership. However, we do believe the
conference offers a considerable benefit to those who attend, and,
unfortunately, providing the space for 500 people to gather is
expensive.

Nancy