[Air-l] hotel information for AOIR Toronto: Broadening the Band

Rhiannon Bury welshwitch75 at rogers.com
Thu Jul 31 10:54:14 PDT 2003

Checking with the Hilton, it seems people aren't in hotel booking mode
yet. As Nancy and Steve have mentioned, it is crucial to the financial
success of the conference that people stay at the Hilton.  The AOIR
Toronto working committee was down at the hotel last week for a
walkabout and it really is a great space with the meeting rooms off the
central foyer, where we will hold the opening reception and other
events. We had lunch in one of the restaurants and the food was
excellent (and I'm fussy about my food).

 It's going to be non stop activity, with 9 concurrent sessions from
8:30 to 5, great keynotes, Thursday reception, Saturday gala (ticket
required), Sunday brunch (ticket required), book exhibit and some form
of cybercafe/sandbox.

But no, it's not cheap, and understandably, those with little or no
funding will be looking for alternatives. Rather than save a few bucks
by staying 20 minutes away and having to rush to early morning sessions,
share a room instead! I've done it before as a grad student at several
conferences and always had a great experience, meeting new, interesting
people. I also liked the flexibility of  being able to come back to the
room for a little break during the day.

Mark cannot be the only male out there who needs to share a room!

Rhiannon