[Air-l] Re: research methods

Andrew Herman aherman at holycross.edu
Mon Jul 21 07:42:18 PDT 2003

Jon-

I hope a good time was had by all at IASPM. See you at the AOIR conference.

Andrew

P.S.  From now until further notice my contact e-mail is andrew.herman at comcast.net.

Andrew Herman, Ph. D.
Visiting Associate Professor of Sociology
College of the Holy Cross
Worcester, MA 01610
(508) 793-2531
>>> jsterne+ at pitt.edu 06/14/03 14:09 PM >>>
Hey Andrew,

Two books I'd recommend:

C. Wright Mills, _The Sociological Imagination_

Bourdieu and Wacquant, _An Invitation to Reflexive Sociology_ (really just
the third section for a methods course)

Neither is comm or method specific, but they are, in my opinion, two of the
most important books ever written on research design.  Mills attacks the
fetishization of theory and method, and closes with a really derisory
description of his work patterns.  Some of the book is dated, but it's
amazing how much of it ISN'T dated.  The third section of the _Invitation_
is about doing research that matters and learning to ask intelligent and
important questions before applying method.

I've taught both books at the graduate level with great success.

You'll need some methodologies as well (remember:  a methodology is a
theory or description of a method, not the method itself), but these Mills
and Bourdieu will give you something many methodologies don't.

Best,
--Jonathan