[Air-l] Re: Impact of intense technology use on memorization' s quality

Monica.Murero at MERIT.unimaas.nl Monica.Murero at MERIT.unimaas.nl
Tue Jul 8 17:12:19 PDT 2003

Serge wrote:
>Ones could think that the intense use of technology
>could lead to a impairment of our memory.

Dear All,
Another way of looking at this:

Intense use of technology affects different "types" of
memory. It also becomes an issue of what "type" of memory we
are talking about: for example, we can have "everyday functioning",
"low-level cognitions" versus the ability  to
recall specific 'non-common' data for high-cognitive use.
A telephone number, for example,  could involve low or
high levels of cognitions and different propensions
to "remember it" if it belongs to a friend or
to the local post office.

Intense use of technology could
lead to different effects according to the types
of memory we consider. For example, efficient use
of info technologies, utilizing
intelligent data pruning strategies and various
hardware-based memory, could free up one's
memory from "brain clutter" and allow
improved foci on pertinent info.
For example, I have found myself remembering more
data relevant to my research when I memorize them on my Palm.

On the other hand, intense use of technology
might impair certain low-involvement memories and
affect the way one's exposes, processes, learn
and memorizes information.
 I agree on previous posts about Neil Postman's work.
There are also several "historical"
researches in Media studies showing
how the diffusion of  radio and TV has affected
the learning and memorization abilities of entire generations
(acustic versus visual memory).

I imagine that using multiple sensorial modalities
(visual, tactile, acustic) like certain new technologies
allow to do, might facilitate the ability to recall
certain types of info, but could impair
other "types" of memories.

Moreover, specific technologies should be considered:
the intense use of technology might have a
different impact on our memory according to the
technology one's analyzes (Cellular, Internet, Palm, MP3, etc).
It could also be relevant to consider
how do different "types" of memory might affect ICT
over time

cheers,
Monica Murero