[Air-l] hotel information for AOIR Toronto: Broadening the Band

halavais at buffalo.edu halavais at buffalo.edu
Thu Jul 31 11:29:25 PDT 2003

Given the importance of filling the hotel, I hate to be the one to
bring up the unspoken, but I'm guessing it's too spendy for many,
especially given the other options available. We have a lot of graduate
student members, and many coming without support from their
institutions, and the difference in cost over several days is
significant.

Moreover, the Hilton has rooms listed on their website (linked from the
conference page) for as low as CDN$189 a night for double occupancy,
advance purchase. Even their "no restrictions" rate is $5 less than the
negotiated conference rate. I wonder if it might not be possible to
request the conference rate be reduced?

Alex

(Who will most likely be making the commute rather than staying.)

Quoting Rhiannon Bury <welshwitch75 at rogers.com>:

> Checking with the Hilton, it seems people aren't in hotel booking
> mode
> yet. As Nancy and Steve have mentioned, it is crucial to the
> financial
> success of the conference that people stay at the Hilton.