[Air-l] metaphors for internet security

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Mon Jun 2 12:59:17 PDT 2003

the problem with the body metaphor is that it is quite hard to seize
total control of  someone's body and mind...  but it isn't that hard to
take control of a computer, even without any virus, etc.

the office or locked drawer metaphor is problematic in that it probably
only governs certain interest groups, and does not really consider the
harm to others.  The office seems to me to be a property metaphor aimed
toward privacy, and does not really consider the harm toward others can
Distributed Attacks, and trojans can perform.  This is why i entered
the car metaphor, which has serious implications for harm to others,
but then i thought maybe a toaster and its warning labels are more
appropriate, because you can (I subscribe to strange news sources) die
or serious harm others from misusing a toaster or by not securing a
toaster properly.  However, a toaster in that regard is not nearly the
same sort of thing as other more obviously dangerous implements like
knives and guns, which culturally carry their own warning in their
design, though yes, that has to be learned, but the toaster looks very
much like an appliance, and i think many people have begun to think of
the personal computer as an  appliance like the toaster....  your
thoughts?