[Air-l] metaphors, toasters and daily lives

Kathleen O'Riordan K.S.O-Riordan at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Jun 3 10:39:59 PDT 2003

Hi all

Maren wrote:

-- Begin original message --

> So what metaphors are already out there? There must be some, at least
> in the advertisement world. Can't think of any at the moment.
> Probably not easy that combines public and private aspects.Can't think
> of any at the moment.
> Probably not easy that combines public and private aspects.

-- End original message --

This seems to bring us back to the body as always representative of
combining public and private and this would raise (would it?) the
question of 'appropriate' metaphors - the ones which are out there seem
to draw on illness and war (as pointed out before) which are marketing
rhetoric for security sytems but are not 'appropriate' to the body.

The everyday life thread then seems to tie in (at a tangent) with the
other question - what ways of expressing internet security are not seen
as metaphor yet? If the question is then how do we already express
everyday security I would think about save, copy, transfer and shutdown
as ways into this?

All the best

Kate O'Riordan