[Air-l] metaphors, toasters and daily lives

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Jun 3 10:55:39 PDT 2003

> The everyday life thread then seems to tie in (at a tangent) with the
> other question - what ways of expressing internet security are not seen
> as metaphor yet? If the question is then how do we already express
> everyday security I would think about save, copy, transfer and shutdown
> as ways into this?

along with the inherent 'thereness' and 'otherness' of the internet.
people always go to it, get onto it, it's where they want to be, etc.
etc.  Another problem is to separate the computer question, 'McSoft ate
all my files' and the computer informational culture, diskettes,
viruses, etc. from the internet informational culture.  Because
computer security is a slightly different set of concepts, even when
computers are networked, than when they are internetworked, though with
ipv6 some of the old issues of identity which transformed the issue of
internet security have changed.