[Air-l] Evaluation Logs

Frank Thomas frank.thomasftr at free.fr
Tue Jun 3 06:32:23 PDT 2003

I guess the public evaluation of a course and a professor - and its
subsequent publication - can be quite an important tool in measuring
customer satisfaction.  And as this is nothing more than an opinion poll
in the same way a download site invites its customers to rate the
program just downloaded I guess there can be no legal barriers to the
publication of the poll's result.

HOWEVER, the tool as it is on the web can heavily distort the result as
it invites everyone to vote. The sampling is as bad a convenience sample
as other web surveys inviting anyone to give his or her opinion.  Maybe
this is old school thinking, but as someone from Old Europe I stick to
old school rules, like reprentativity of a sample.

And then comes all the questions if student evaluation is really the way
to judge the quality of a teacher. But this is an entire different
discussion.

For me, the result produced by //www.ratemyprofessor.com is just rubbish.

Regards
Frank Thomas