[Air-l] Communication research Methods

Kumiko Aoki, Ph.D. kaoki at bu.edu
Thu Jun 12 10:47:10 PDT 2003

I've been teaching communication research methods courses for five years and
found the following textbooks useful.

Wimmer, R.D. and Dominick, J.R. (2003).  Mass Media Research: An
Introduction.  7th ed.
* Good introductory textbook with ample examples of practical applications
in mass media research.  I use this textbook for my undergraduate research
course.

Frey, L R., Botan, C. H., and Kreps, G L. (2000).  Investigating
Communication: An Introduction Research Methods.  2nd Ed.
* Introductory, but comprehensive textbook with detailed explanation of
statistical analyses.
I used to use this book for my graduate research course.

Reinard, J.C. (2001).  Introduction to Communication Research.  3rd ed.
* Another introductory textbook focusing on quantitative research in
communication.

Babbie, E. (2004).  The Practice of Social Research. 10th ed.
* This is more for sociological research than communication research.  But,
the author explains concepts well in a friendly manner.  I use this textbook
for my graduate research course.

Hope this helps.

Kumiko Aoki, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Communication
Boston University
640 Commonwealth Ave.
Boston, MA 02215
tel: 617/358-1305
fax: 617/358-1301
email: kaoki at bu.edu
homepage: http://people.bu.edu/kaoki

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."